Thursday, February 17, 2011

God never gives you more than you can handle?

I have heard this phrase used many times over the years and usually find myself cringing. Why? First of all by implying that God "gives" trials in our lives suggests that we are Gods robots and that He programs our lives instead of giving us free will. On the other hand, God does "allow" trials so that we learn to totally trust Him. John 16:33 says "...In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

The other thing that confuses me is "more than you can handle". This phrase implies that because God creates some people with more strength than others, these poor souls would consequently be given more pain and suffering than a weaker brother or sister. I can't believe that the God who loves us beyond our understanding would pick and choose the amount of pain we are allotted based on our ability to withstand pain.

I have seen deep pain, such as a loss of a child, spouse or parent, divorce, finances or health. In each case, a severely broken heart will never be completely mended because it is more than their earthy body/mind can handle by themselves. If you would ask these people how they deal with their pain, they would tell you that God has been there holding them and comforting them, giving them strength. I have also seen bitterness and anger take hold of lives in situations when God has been blamed for causing their troubles. These people live very sad, unprofitable lives.

In the summer or 2008 my stress/heart pain was so strong that it had caused a short in my brain circuit causing unclear thinking, obsession and uncontrollable weeping. As hard as I tryed, begging, fasting, pleading with God to take it away and make me whole again, healing did not happen until I finally listened to friends/family and sought help from a doctor. (Thanks Kel for reminding me that God created doctors and meds) Did God cause my pain? I don't believe so. Did He allow it? Yes He did. Because He knew that by going through this pain I would have to trust Him more, dig more deeply into His word, become more like Him.

He knows what pain feels like. He was turned into the police by a friend, made fun of, spit on, whipped with a leather belt, had railroad spikes pounded into his hands and feet and ultimately gave His life for me and you.

Thank you Jesus for carrying me when I could not walk without your help.

1 comment:

  1. 6 years ago, I mourned my granddaughter when my daughter gave her up for adoption. My daughter was 19, and highly influenced by a member of her church. Later, after the adoption, my daughter found out that the lady that basically brokered the deal (so to speak) was in love with the adoptive family members (brother). My daughter knew she was manipulated and understandably upset. She knew she made a mistake. She cried all the time. I begged her to keep her daughter. But told her I would support her in her decision. I knew in my heart, she would regret it. But she convinced me, that it was an open adoption and she would still get to see her daughter. At first, everything seemed fine. My daughter would get to visit her baby and send gifts. Then it all changed. Adopted mother changed her demeanor with my daughter. My daughter was a Catholic, and very religious, a good girl. She went on missionaries and helped build houses for the homeless. She was a good person. Selfless.

    Now, 6 years later, I mourn my daughters death. Her long term boyfriend was at fault for her death. Only 25 years old, 2 months before her 26th birthday.

    I got in touch with the adoptive Dad, and have been able to send gifts. They have sent few videos and very brief comments. It hurts to my core. I want a relationship with my granddaughter. She is the only thing I have left to my daughter.

    God, I pray for him to take away my pain. I am living in pain, daily. Not a day goes by that I don't think about not only my daughter that was taken way too soon, but my granddaughter that was taken through manipulation. So sad.

    One day, my granddaughter will find me, and I pray that her and I can have a real relationship together.

    ReplyDelete